Last Updated on 18/02/2022
Casio G-Shock GWM5610 Review – Best Automatic Solar Watch
Casio G-Shock GWM5610 Review
This is our review of the Casio G-Shock GWM5610 Solar Sports Watch which is considered by many to be the best outdoor watch for the money. One of the smallest G-Shock Watches available for men, the Casio G-Shock GWM5610 is ideal for people who have smaller wrists or just don’t like big watches.
- Weight: 52 g
- Dimensions: (W x D) 43 x 12.5 mm
- Materials: Black Plastic Resin
- Features: Multi-Band Synchronization, World Clock, 4 x Daily Alarms with 1 x Snooze, Stopwatch, Countdown Timer, Automatic/Manual Backlight
- Battery: Tough Solar Powered
- Waterproof: 20 BAR / 200 M
Our Casio G-Shock GWM5610 review begins when we opened the small metal display box that it arrives in. Complete with a thick instruction manual, warranty, and other pieces of paper the watch pops straight out of the foam padding and onto your wrist. Mine arrived with a medium charge so either it hadn’t been in the box very long or it holds its battery very well for a solar watch.
The main draw to this watch for me was the size. For a G-Shock Watch, it has a surprisingly low profile and is possibly their smallest case on any men’s G-Shock Watch. Being someone that doesn’t have massive wrists, I was happy to see that this watch sits on my wrist very nicely and isn’t too much bigger than your bog-standard Casio Illuminator Watch.
The square case of the Casio G-Shock GWM5610 measures 46.7 mm x 12.5 mm x 43.2 mm and is made from durable plastic resin. The case rises about 1 – 2 mm above the scratch-resistant screen and does an excellent job of protecting the display. At just 12.5 mm deep, the case is nice and slim if you are used to other larger outdoor watches. This is much better for outdoor jobs where you don’t want anything obstructing your hands or arms. The casing also protects the buttons very well to prevent you from accidentally pressing one.
The rectangular LCD display measures approximately 14 x 21 mm and is surrounded by solar panels around the outside. There are multiple display units to observe which are all covered in the instruction manual and don’t take long to learn at all. Once you fully customized the settings the way you like them you will rarely have to change them again. The screen is easy to read in direct sunlight and at night thanks to the automatic illumination feature. The “home screen” displays the time in large numerals at the bottom with a small day and month display that runs from a built-in calendar.
The usability of the Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1 is very good, the buttons are set back instead of sticking out so that you don’t accidentally change the time. Once you learn the basic functions of each feature and what each button does, the watch is very easy to use. With an automatic backlight as well as light button function, you can quickly tell the time whether it’s day or night with the flick of your wrist. The watch is accurate to within milliseconds thanks to the daily atomic updates.
The durability of the G-Shock watches is the main reason most people buy them over a standard wristwatch. The case is tough, waterproof, and lightweight to suit most outdoor people and the strap is strong and flexible too. I haven’t tested the durability of the screen for this Casio G-Shock GWM5610 Review because finding out its maximum tolerance would result in severe damage but the screen has also never been tested in the field which is good. The fact that it is solar-powered means that you never have to replace the battery which is good for maintaining the waterproofing and factory seal.
- Multi-Band 6 – The radio synchronization feature allows the watch to receive signals from various radio towers around the world to synchronize to an atomic clock. With most quartz watch movements changing about -/+ 15 seconds per month, this feature means you have the most accurate watch in the room without fail. This watch is so accurate in fact that you can use it to set the time on all your other watches and home appliances.
- Comfortable – The black resin strap is very comfortable to wear all day every day and has no problem with durability. The slim size of the Casio GWM5610 Solar Watch is ideal for people who want a G-Shock watch but don’t want anything too bulky.
- Automatic Backlight – A neat feature that some people may want to turn off to save battery but I personally really like it. A simple flick of the wrist in low light means you don’t need to use both hands or take off your gloves to read the time. You can also press the illumination button as well but find that I very rarely use it because of the auto feature.
- Solar Powered – Being solar powered is a huge plus for me as replacing batteries can often harm the waterproof seal if not done by a true professional. If you are buying this as an outdoor watch then staying charged should not be a problem as you will be charging it while you wear it.
- Affordable – And finally the price, this is considered one of the more basic G-Shock watches although it has everything you could want in an outdoor timepiece. Sure you can spend 5 times as much for the altimeter or barometer but how often will you use them?
For this Casio G-Shock GWM5610 Review, our overall verdict is very good. It is lightweight, rugged, comfortable, and has all the basic features you could want in a digital watch, and more. Powered by the sun, any outdoor person can see the benefits this has in the long run and with atomic clock accuracy, you don’t have to worry about updating the time every month. 5 daily alarms include one with a snooze option which is great for backpackers who’s phones are prone to running out of battery. Overall I would recommend this as possibly the best outdoor watch for the money and you will not be disappointed with it.
Where to buy it?
Thanks for reading this Casio G-Shock GWM5610 Review, stay tuned for more of the best outdoor watches.
An everyday outdoor watch that is affordable and has all the features you might need on a daily basis. Rugged, lightweight, 100% accurate.